We are excited to announce that once again we will be running social language groups over the summer (July and August). We will offer 2 types of groups this year:
- 1-week communication camp: Groups will be Monday – Friday, we will have a morning session (9:30am-12:30pm) and an afternoon session (1:00pm-4:00pm) each day. The location will be determined. Groups will be either via teletherapy only or outdoor (during outdoor groups we will ensure to follow the proper protocols set up by BC Health Authority).
- Weekly groups: between July 6 – August 21, these will take place Wednesdays and Thursdays 4:00pm - 5:00pm online and Thursdays 10:00am-11:00am outdoor distance.
Social Learning groups are a way for students to explore and apply their knowledge and learn new skills in a supportive friendship-driven group setting. Key social skills, including Social ThinkingTM, emotional regulation and executive functioning concepts will be taught through the use of games, group activities and projects, role playing, and other preferred activities of interest (“Experience-Based Learning). These sessions will also provide opportunities for the students to generalize their social thinking skills and emotional regulation skills to other less structured settings. Please contact email@example.com for more information and the registration form.
Topics that we may be working on:
- Active listening and non-verbal communication.
- Identifying ‘Expected’ and ‘Unexpected’ behaviours in different situations
- Watching their surroundings & using context to make ‘smart guesses’ about what is expected in social and community situations
- Understanding the thoughts, feelings and intentions of others
- Social communication
- Emotional Regulation (identifying the size of a problem and working towards matching their reaction)
- Flexible thinking and problem solving
- Internet Safety
- Navigating the online world
- Navigating the teenage world and the dating world
- Perspective taking
- Movement and Communication
- Organization and executive function focus through the medium of art which includes Attention and Focus
- Narrative Development
- And much, much more!
Who can participate:
- Individuals between the ages of 3 to adulthood who benefit from support with interacting and socializing with others.
- For new clients, an individual session will be required prior to groups beginning to determine needs and goals.